Thursday, April 24, 2014

When your cell phone is also your camera.........

........you worry about the phone dying and having no way of taking pictures on vacation.

At least *I* worry about this.  I started thinking a few weeks ago (maybe longer) about this and our upcoming Disney vacation.  I don't take a ton of photos when I'm there, but I like to take pictures.  Add to that...there's a great Disney app for the phone that shows wait times, parade times, etc.... that is very useful in and out of the parks.  Well....all of this takes battery power when it's your phone that powering it all.  Phone batteries only last so long...especially with the addition of checking e-mail, etc... that I wish I wasn't compelled to do. 

If it were just me, I think I'd be fine.  But Wolf likes to be on his phone on the internet...especially when standing in line, etc....  I'm pretty sure his phone wouldn't make it much past lunch time the way he usually uses it around home.  So, I started looking into portable chargers, etc... to see what was out there for not a whole lot of money.  In reading the many Disney message boards that I lurk on, I found a few recommendations and checked them out on Amazon.

I ended up getting a 10000mAz USB portable charger made by EasyAcc.  It was only about $30, which I thought was very reasonable.  They come in a few different color combinations (none of them with blue), and I ended up getting a purple/black one.  It can charge two devices at the same time, and came with two USB micro cords: one short and one longer. 


Most of the negative reviews for the item were because it didn't come with a wall charger to charge it with.  My response is: so what...I have a ton of them at home and can easily get some for cheap money.  I actually own a few sets of the colored ones that CVS/Walgreens sell, and just happen to have a purple one! 


I have played around with the charger a little bit at work: draining the phone battery and charging it with the charger.  It can fully charge the phone (a few hours maybe?) just about three times - which is pretty good!  It takes about 8hrs to charge the charger, which is fine for charging it overnight.

After having it in my bag for a few weeks I started wondering about a case for it so it doesn't get all banged up and such and stop working....I'm planning to use it in September and would like it to still work by then!  So I went searching online (Amazon) for a case for it, and actually found one by the same company that makes the charger!


I ordered it and couldn't wait for it to come in to see how everything fit in it.  Well...it fits perfect!!  There a mesh pocket on one side (I put the charger in here) and there's an open area on the other side with elastics (I put the cords here).  There's even enough room left in the case for my wall charger!


All in all....I'm pretty happy with it so far, and will continue using it on and off until our trip to monitor how it is working.


Wolf's and my plan for Disney is to top off our phones when we break for lunch during the day and possibly dinner, depending on how fast we are draining our phones.  The instructions say to not charge the phone in an enclosed space....so putting them in the backpack probably isn't the best idea....hence the lunch/dinner idea since we can put it in the table or seat next to us.

~Chelle     *o*

No comments:

Post a Comment