Monday, April 28, 2014

A Century

What do you think of when you hear that word?  Century....

Most likely, you think of the 19th Century, 20th, 21st, etc.....  Or that a century is 100 years.  All of that is true. 

But ask a cyclist what they think of when they hear it, and the answer might very well be different.....most probably think of 100 miles.  As in, riding a 100 miles in a day.  Yes, this might sound crazy to non-cyclists...but it's an ambition that most have at some point. 

So, what is a Century?  Pretty much what is written above.  Riding 100 miles in the same day.  There is also what's called a Metric Century which is 100k (roughly 62miles) in the same day.  Usually it is ridden as part of an organized/supported ride/event and there are help vans that patrol the route if anyone needs help.  There are also rest stops where water and usually food is available.  There are also people that set out to ride 100 miles on their own, separate from an organized, supported ride/event.

To date, I've never ridden a Century.  I've done a Metric Century in Sept 2012 on Martha's Vineyard and that was an experience I won't soon forget (strong head wind the ENTIRE ride around an island?!?!).  My average speed when from 10-12mph to about 8.  But I finished it and was proud I finished.

There is an organized/supported ride near me that is 75miles (with a shorter option of 35miles) from Westport MA to Woods Hole MA and benefits the Buzzard's Bay Watershed.  It is aptly named the Buzzard's Bay Watershed Ride.  I registered for the ride last year, but feel behind on my training and did not feel adequately prepared for the ride so I didn't do it. 

It has been bugging and haunting me ever since.  So, this weekend I decided I was going to do it this year no matter what.  So I looked up the dates for this year, and it is the day after I return from Disney.  Yeah....not the best time to hop on a bike for 75 miles!  I started thinking, and there is a local riding club, Narraganset Bay Wheelman, that sponsors a Century ride each September (they, too, have shorter distances available).  

I looked up the dates, and it is the first Sunday in September.  It is called the Flattest Century in the East, so I looked up a prior year's route on MapMyRide and it truly is pretty flat!  I started thinking...I might actually be able to do this!!  See...I have an issue with hills...they don't like me, lol.  Registration opens this Thursday, May 1st and usually fills up pretty quickly.  I plan on being one of the first to register!!  I am so excited!  Here are the details of this years ride!  For those familiar with the area, it usually starts/end at UMass Dartmouth.

I went online this weekend and looked up training plans, nutrition guidelines, etc.... so I can start preparing NOW for the ride.  Training plans are designed for 12 weeks of training, and I calculated that I have approximately an additional 6 weeks or so of training. 

I have found bike paths near home/work and also near Wolf's that I can ride on.  I will also ride some roads, especially as it gets closer to the day, since all riding is on roads for the ride.

Now to finalize training plans, and check out my biking gear to make sure it's all ready to go.  Brought my bike in last week for a tune-up so it should be ready early this week to be picked up!

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment