Monday, August 19, 2013

Finally....a new bike!!!!!!!

Well...not new right now....I got it in May.  I thought I had blogged about it, but apparently not!

So.....what made me decide on a new bike............

Well, the one I rode last season was fine, and I started thinking about a new one by the end of riding season.  My old one is the same one that I got as a teenager (12 or 13, I think) and was woefully too big for me.  I'm short (5 feet...barely) and the bike is a 1985 Men's Benny's special.  It was way too big for me when I got it (had to stand in the front stairs to get on and off of it, lol) and isn't suited any better now.

So, I made a deal with myself at the end of last season.....if I continued riding this season, I'd get a new bike at the end of this season (2013).  That was all fine.....until I got on the bike May 1st to start riding again.  It was painfully (!) obvious how ill-fitting the bike was, and I made the decision to see what was out there for bikes (and what the cost was going to be!).  I knew they wouldn't be inexpensive, but I needed some ideas.

After talking with a colleague at work, I went to Belmont Wheelworks to see what size bike I should be looking at and what types of prices I'm looking at.  I told them upfront that I was looking and seeing what was out there.  Well......since I wasn't ready to plunk down $$$ that day, they didn't want anything to do with me.  They told me what size frame I should be looking at, and showed me one....yes ONE...bike that was over $1000.  Now, I know there are bikes out there less than $1k, so I basically said 'kiss off' to them and decided to go to my local bike shop (Peterson's Bike Shop - Raynham, MA). 

So, the following week Wolf and I went to Peterson's and look at bikes.  I told the guy there that I was just looking at my options, etc...  He was so NICE!!!!!   He recognized me, since I've been bringing my bike there for tune-ups for quite a few years now.  He went through all the brands of bikes they carry, explained the differences in the price-points and recommended a few brands/styles for me (since I'm short and all, lol).  His main recommendation was a Lexa Trek bike, women's specific design. 

After going through all the price-points, I opted for the least expensive one (I had an amount in mind that I could spend before walking in, and it fit in my price range).  He didn't bat an eye, and went through all the options for the bike with me.  When we were finally done, I had decided to buy the bike and told him as much.  He fitted me for the bike again (he had done so before looking at the bikes), and I ordered a new bike!!  It was going to take a week or so to come in, so I had to be patient.  If you know me...I HATE to be patient! 

He called about a week later that the bike was in, so I made an appointment to go in and have it fitted specifically to me.  The guy was great!  He adjusted the seat height, the handlebars, and adjusted a bunch of other stuff for me (I don't remember it all).  Out I walked with a brand new bike!!!!  and it only cost be about $750!

I took it for a ride shortly afterwards (one morning before work) and snapped this pic after I got back home from riding:
I love it!!  It's black, purple and white.  The seat is my own seat that I already had, as is the bag on back.


Here are some pictures that Wolf took of me on the bike (not really riding it, therefore not helmet):


So, I love my new bike like you can't imagine!  I've put just about 100 miles on it since I got it - and plan on putting a lot more on it in the coming weeks!  I've ridden it around home a bit, and also taken it out by the Charles in Boston, and most recently along the Minuteman Bikeway.  Heading out riding this weekend again....maybe the Charles again....maybe the Minuteman again....we'll have to wait and see!

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment