Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A few new cakes

In case you were wondering...I have not abandoned cakes yet, lol.  I just haven't been as busy with them as I once was.  You know what.....that's ok!  I have not much going on in my life right now, that I'm not sure I could handle a lot of cakes/shows like I was doing a few years ago.

I recently did a birthday cake for Muffin's oldest son (17!!  How did that happen?!?!?!?!).  Since his brother is on a Gluten Free Casein Free diet (and is allergic to soy), the goodies that I make to bring to the house need to be free of gluten, casein (dairy) and soy.  The following cake (and icing) meets all of those requirements!  The cake was very tasty and everyone loved it!


The icing is a new recipe that I haven't tried before.  It was ok, but ended up a little grainy....I may have overbeat the shortening (Spectrum brand).  The chocolate started out as a chocolate ganache made with Enjoy Life chocolate chips and coconut milk (canned).  The proportions were off a bit because the ganache never really thickened up to a whippable consistency.  I ended up added powdered sugar and beating the life out of it to get something pipe-able.  Then it stiffened up....figures, right?  Oh well, it was delicious anyway!



The second cake was for a co-worker's birthday.  The cake is gluten free (she has Celiac), but the icing is my regular cream cheese icing.  It was a little too soft....it started to slide down the side of the cake in a couple of spots.  Oh well...it tasted good too!




~Chelle *o*


No comments:

Post a Comment