Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cooking up a Storm!

I decided the other day that it's about time I cooked some actual food....rather than eating cereal and breakfast foods for dinner every night.  I know....a radical idea!

So, while I was at work, I searched online for some dinner ideas and found some that sounded pretty good.  I printed them out and made a list of what I needed to buy, and went shopping after work.  Bought a TON of food (or so it seemed)...enough for 4 meals!

So, what did I make with what I bought?  Glad you asked!

Citrus Chicken Stir-Fry
This is what was for dinner tonight.  It is based on a recipe for Mandarin Chicken.  There is stir-fry chicken, broccoli, onion, peppers, carrots, and mandarin oranges in the dish.  The recipe called for a Mandarin Stir Fry sauce, but I used a citrus vinaigrette that I marinated the chicken in.  Then I cooked the chicken and all the vegetables with the vinaigrette.  I had it over egg noodles for dinner.  It was good!!!


Beefy Rice Skillet
 Made this last night (along with the next dish).  I actually followed the recipe pretty closely with this one.  I used stir-fry beef (recipe called for ground beef), a bag of Bird's Eye mixed vegetables, a can of diced tomatoes, a couple cans of tomato sauce, 2 cups of beef broth and 2 cups of instant rice.  I had my doubts as to how this would turn out.  It actually turned out pretty good!  I had some for lunch today, and this would make a great filling for a burrito or wrap, especially with some salsa added to it.


Fiesta Beef with Spaghetti
 I haven't tried this yet, but it seemed to be a twist on traditional American Chop Suey.  There is ground beef, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, and onions.  The recipe calls for spaghetti to be mixed in, but I cooked some elbows to have with it.  


Now, I did say four meals, and there are only three up there.  The fourth was an idea that I stole from someone I know, lol.  It is Easy Chicken Alfredo.  I bought a rotisserie chicken, jar of alfredo sauce (Classico is made with cream instead of soybean oil!), and penne pasta to have it with. 


So those are my cooking adventures from the other day!  Don't expect too many more before next week or the week after, lol!

~Chelle


1 comment: